[thelist] Dreamhost as domain registrar?

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Feb 20 12:50:04 CST 2006

Message from Chris Johnston (2/20/2006 01:10 PM)

>Hello,
>
>I currently have a domain name with Network Solutions and am thinking of
>transfering it to Dreamhost.

One of my first concerns with registering a domain through a hosting
provider is whether you actually own the domain, or they do. Especially if
the domain is registered "for free" when you sign up for one of their
hosting plans.

If the business relationship ever goes sour, or they go out of business, do
you still own your domain and/or have access to it?

I looked on their site for registration terms for domains but the only TOS
I saw seemed to be related specifically to web hosting.

>Also, I have heard it can be extremely hard to transfer a domain
>name away from network solutions, is this true?

They appear to be playing by nice these days. I've moved two clients'
domains away in the past few months. The process is basically:

1. I ensure that the domain to be transferred is unlocked at NetSol
2. I initiate transfer via my registrar
3. My registrar sends transfer confirmation that I must accept (sent to
existing Admin Contact's email)
4. NetSol sends notice (to Admin Contact's email) that if I do not reject
transfer within x days, the transfer will be processed

As April said, make sure the contact info on the domain is current to
ensure you get the email in step 3.

regards.
-marc