[thelist] XML-to-Flash

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Tue Feb 21 14:31:12 CST 2006

Larry Levenson wrote:
> I need to come up with a rolling Flash banner that is XML-powered.
> The data would be date sensitive, and the Flash would re-build itself
> every day. MySQL-to-XML is easy. . . anyone have a simple way to feed
> this XML into a Flash movie? Text only.

There's a bunch of pre-built utilities available, discoverable under the
following search term:
http://www.google.com/search?q=flash+%28banner+OR+ticker%29+XML

(The SWF file wouldn't need to "rebuild itself each day"... the same SWF
can call out to an XML file at any time, parse its data, and integrate
it into the display.)

One detail: The SWF and the XML would either need to be in the same
domain (to prevent snooping around behind firewalls), or your data
server would need a "policy file" to let it know that it's acceptable
for your remote SWF to request this data. More info:
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/mx2004/main_7_2/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Flash_MX_2004&file=00001097.html
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14213

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd