[thelist] Question about DB connections in ASP

Matthew Bernhardt bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 2 06:57:23 CST 2006

Hello everyone,
   I was wondering if there was any conventional wisdom in to structure an
ASP page that has to make several connections to different databases on
the same server?
   Some of the pages I'm working on right now make connections to 4-5
different databases to grab the data that they need. Right now, they
define different connection objects for each database, defining them just
before they're used in the page. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more
efficient to define one connection object at the top of the page, and then
structure the SQL statements to specify 'database.tablename' each time the
page needs to get data.
   Is there a performance hit to opening a connection and leaving it open
for an entire page, or is it better to open and then close several
different connection objects?

Thanks for any advice - I've lurked here for about a month, and I'm
impressed so far with the level (and range) of discussion.

Matt

Matt Bernhardt, bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Webmaster  +  Fab  Lab  Coordinator
Knowlton  School   of  Architecture