[thelist] JavaScript/Ajax - responseText and IE question

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Thu Mar 2 12:48:07 CST 2006

Any chance the object that you think is a string really isn't, but it's being implicitly converted in the alert?  I realize the chances of this are pretty slim in an all-variant world, but what happens if you use .toString on the response before shoving it into that div tag?

 From: Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com

--- Matt Warden wrote:
> What do you get in IE when you alert() the responseText?

As just noted in my last message - I get the full string of text which is:

"

You have been successfully added to the list."

But IE won't apply it to the div via innerHTML. However it does this just fine during the earlier
state change:

m = document.getElementById('msg');
m.innerHTML = "working..."

which seems very odd...