[thelist] HTML Email question

Parshadi Saraiya saraiyap at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 18:47:34 CST 2006

I read up on this about a month ago as I had to design HTML emails
for the first time.  Basically, to "bullet-proof" it, apply all your
styles inline - you can't rely on adding CSS into the head of a
document as, when viewed in some webmail clients, you'll find that
their CSS rules (especially governing things like body background
colour and text formatting) will overwrite yours.   You do end up
with horrible tag-soup code, but it does result in a consistent look
in everything I tried (Outlook, Mail on the Mac, Gmail, Hotmail).
I agree. We have been sending out HTML emails for a while. We use only inline styles and avoid using graphics if possible. Our HTML emails work fine on almost all new browsers for both Mac and PC.

-Parshadi.