[thelist] rsa security device

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Mar 6 14:00:23 CST 2006

Lisa/Bird asked:

>>I have a client who wants to give his customers a security device that

>>generates a six digit number which they then must add to the password
>>that they use to log in.

>>If anyone has any other recommendations I would also like to hear
about them

Hi Lisa,

Something like this?
http://www.smart-cardsys.com/activcard/activkey.htm

It's a device anyway.  It doesn't make me enter any extra random
characters.
I think it stores a public key to make sure that whoever entered my
password
is also in physical possession of the gizmo.  <shrug /> My laptop just
nags
at me to plug it in once in a while.  I've never coded any apps to
require
the booger so I can't give you any heads up on how big a headache that
is.

Anyway, it looks like these folks may offer something close to what you
are looking for.

Good Luck,

RonL.

(Weren't there a bunch of stories a year or two ago noting that all of
the
banks were supposed to imminently start issuing these kinds of widgets?)