[thelist] Help: JS error - Object expected...

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 16:25:48 CST 2006

Tushar,

First of all, is it possible to strip out the disclaimer scroll from
your posts for the sake of reduction of the signal to noise ratio of
the conversation?
I don't think anyone in this list is interested in the
'virus-free'ness of your text-only message or any other statement in
your disclaimer for that matter.

Having said that. There may be two causes of unexpected "object
expected" errors.

Here is a particular scenario:

You test everything locally and everything goes fine. You upload it to
production, click on link and it says "object expected" all of a
sudden.

- This may be because the supporting js file may not be loaded when
you trigger the action.
If that's the case; then I can humbly advise you to take your event
handling logic to the js part. That will most possibly sort out the
problem. (google: "unobtrusive javascript" for details)

- A helper js file may be incorrectly referenced, or missing. To
detect that, you may want to sniff the page response with a proxy tool
(such as fiddler) and ensure that all the supporting files are loaded.

That's all that pops out in my my in the middle of the night.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik