[thelist] DHTML Zoom / Pan / Palette

Scott Dietrich csdpdx at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 22:03:53 CST 2006

I have the end goal of an application that will create an interactive graph
or tree. Once the nodes are drawn on the page I would like to allow the user
to Zoom and Pan around to investigate the various nodes in the graph/tree.
Much like Google Maps.

What I was wondering is if there is some standard technique for implementing
Zoom/Pan via DHTML. Is there some Library or Framework that would speed this
up?

Lastly, when drawing square nodes does it make sense to use absolutely
positioned DIVs with their border's set to 1px? I'm sure using an image
would be more attractive, but I think DIVs would be more efficient if a lot
of nodes were to be displayed. I'm also thinking that relative positioning
wouldn't make sense for this application. Am I right?

Thanks,
csdpdx