[thelist] Apology and Tips

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Fri Mar 10 04:19:55 CST 2006

I just sent several posts to evolt inadvertently--the emails to which I
was responding are so old at this point that I forgot that they were
actually sent to thelist and not to me and so I just pressed the Reply
button.

My apologies.

<tip type="Free POP3 access to Yahoo Mail" author="Hershel Robinson">
YPOPs! is an application that provides POP3 access to Yahoo! Mail. It is
available o­n the Windows, Linux, Solaris and Mac platforms.

Yahoo! Mail disabled free access to its POP3 service o­n 24th April,
2002. This application emulates a POP3 server and enables popular email
clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, etc., to download email
from Yahoo! accounts. We do not go against the license agreements of
Yahoo! Mail. This application is completely legitimate and well within
the realms of legal software.

How do we do it you ask? Well, this application is more like a gateway.
It provides a POP3 server interface at o­ne end to talk to email clients
and an HTTP client (browser) interface at the other which allows it to
talk to Yahoo!

YPOPs! was inspired by a Perl script called FetchYahoo written by Ravi
Ramkissoon.

</tip>

<tip type="SPAM Filtering" author="Hershel Robinson">
POPFile is an automatic mail classification tool. Once properly set up
and trained, it will scan all email as it arrives and classify it based
on your training. You can give it a simple job, like separating out junk
e-mail, or a complicated one—like filing mail into a dozen folders.
Think of it as a personal assistant for your inbox.

What separates this project from other Naïve Bayesian email classifiers?

A few things actually...

     * First, POPFile is not tied to a certain brand or type of email
client or server.
     * POPFile is written in Perl. As Perl is available for a wide array
of platforms, POPFile is compatible with a very wide array of computers.
     * It is a highly configurable email classifier, not limited to spam
filtering. When used for email classification, it isn't limited to a
simple "spam", "non-spam" classification.
     * POPFile doesn't force upon users heavyhanded approaches like
blacklists or excessively openended approaches like whitelists, both of
which can be problematic when they make a mistake.
     * As a general mail filter it stands out from the crowd as it has
the capacity to learn, and learn quickly.
     * As a spam filter it stands out due to its high accuracy and
elegance through simplicity in design.

</tip>

--
Gallery Robinson Web Services