[thelist] cheap software spam - how do they do it?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 12 17:20:02 CST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 15:43 -0700, Rich Points wrote:
> I've read through their policies and what they do is let you download
> the software and that's about it.  You don't get a license, no disk,
> you can't register and you may or may not get product updates.

I, personally, find it difficult enough already to accept a blob of bits
for which source code is not available, much less the same blob of bits
offered from a third party supplier in clear violation of copyright law
advertised via network abuse (e-mail spamming is a denial of service
attack and thus network abuse).

> This is acceptable to me for the most part

Significant civil and criminal liability is acceptable to you? The
lottery is a much better gamble, IMO.

> but I'm just wondering if there is a scam here or what.

I recognize I'm in a minority here when I say this, but shrinkwrapped,
binary-only software is enough of a scam by itself. Spamming can also be
seen as a scam against the users of e-mail for legitimate communication.
But yes, what you're talking about is a scam, both against the
legitimate copyright holders and the end users. It is my opinion that
the $150 you quote is $150 more than they deserve to get.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>