[thelist] MS Reporting Services & Local 'Filter' Files

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Mar 14 14:33:47 CST 2006

Hola Evolistas,

Not looking for code here.  Looking for a "yeah it's easy",
a "nope - it can't be done", or a "yeah, kinda, but it's
really really hard" from folks more familiar with MS Reporting
Services than I am ... (which pretty much means everybody).

Can you set up a report in MS Reporting Services and let
your users filter the results of that report (either before
or after report execution - I'm not picky on the timing yet)
using, as filter values, the contents of an Excel or Text
file stored on their local hard drive?

Example -- Report brings back 12,000 records of Inventory data.
User wants to only see records involving the 264 part numbers
she has stored in a local Excel file.  [These part numbers
do not have a common 'grouping' attribute that is currently
stored in the data warehouse.]

Can do?    Can do easily?

Thanks,

RonL.

[This is 'easy' to do using Brio or the 'full client' flavor
of Business Objects.]