[thelist] cheap software spam - how do they do it?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 14 18:52:17 CST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 21:42 -0800, Max Schwanekamp wrote:
> $1200 is a lot for a commercial "blob of bits" but consider what your
> might tools cost in another business.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. I think it's a bit unfair to
compare physical goods with something which can be reproduced at little
to no cost.

> If you were an auto mechanic, for example, would you feel good about
> buying stolen Makita tools from smugglers based in a former Soviet
> republic?

That depends on a lot of things. If Makita forbade me to help my
neighbor by letting them borrow a tool they made (and most
shrinkwrapped-blob-of-bits EULAs do exactly this!), I can see how it
certainly would be tempting. I, personally, wouldn't do it and probably
would choose instead to buy from a competitor.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>