[thelist] PHP Search Engine

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Mar 16 16:03:01 CST 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 22:17, Paul Bennett wrote:
> Mnogosearch is what we're using.
>
> It's been nothing short of awful for us for the last 18 months.
>
> We've had a good developer looking at it and tweaking it, but at the moment
> any more work on it feels like trying to turn a load of poop into a
> chocolate cake.

There could be any number of reasons for that, but I can confirm that it is
definitely capable of handling lots of files.
I haven't seen search results slow down at all between initial tests and 800
megs of mixed document types right now (mostly pdf, xls and .doc), with
search results coming just as fast as the page loads - a second or two.
The indexing takes 7 minutes without OCR-ing, and about 15 minutes with.
Been going for 3 years without any issues so far.
I did pay $199 for some support initially, when first setting things up.
It is a bit tricky to setup, that's true... I should be updating it as the
newest version has spelling-correction suggestions and things, but am a
little hesitant as that includes re-compiling php and all that, which will
probably end-up with me upgrading apache, mysql and php ... you know when you
start, but not when it's done.

I agree Google is better for ease of implementation, and search-result
relevancy, but I would never trust them on my network (or off it as a matter
of fact), after seeing what obvious security errors they have been making
recently, aside from the fact that you are locked in to what they want you to
have, not what you are capable of coding, with a black-box solution like
that.

Cheers,
Richard