[thelist] Can I develop .NET 1.1 with VS '05?

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Mar 21 19:00:45 CST 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Randal Rust
: Sent: Wednesday, 22 March 2006 3:00 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: [thelist] Can I develop .NET 1.1 with VS '05?
:
: Then they changed their minds and said that they needed to maintain
: control and had to host. Well, they won't support PHP or MySQL, so we
: had to redo the app. The documentation they gave us said that their
: environement is 'enabled for .NET 1.1.' When we got to looking at the
: MS tools, everything is .NET 2.0. We asked them if we could use .NET
: 2.0, but they never responded.
:
: As is always the case, the client has no clue about all of these
: things, and they were clamoring for progress. So we went ahead and did
: a classic ASP site, because we knew that would work for sure.

It seems that the clue-less-ness is shared on both sides. Why on earth would
you start developing /any/ product if you don't have a signed work order that
details exactly what is to be delivered, using what technologies? If they
don't answer, then you don't start writing code. That's
consulting/contracting 101.

:
: Now, we are ready to deliver (again) and OIT is saying that they
: cannot load balance an ASP site, only the .NET sites. What I am afraid
: of is that we are going to end up building this thing all over again.

You can load balance an ASP Classic application /if/ you are not using
in-built sessions (as these are stored in-process and can't be shared across
processes).

Load balancing .NET is obviously easier as it supports both (a) ASP.NET
Session State Service -or- (b) SQL Server for storing session OOB

Alternatively, if you want to use Classic ASP, write or buy your own session
manager.

: That's the background, now here is my question -- can I build a .NET
: 1.1 application with VS 05 straight out of the box, with no
: configuration issues?

If you really need to write a .NET v1.1 application, then I would recommend
getting Visual Studio.NET 2003. If you want to use VS 2005 you can, but you
need to know what you're doing. VS 2005 is geared towards .NET v2.0, and as
such will give you warnings etc when you try to use deprecated code. You may
also need to use the command-line v1.1 compilers to compile your various
class files, as VS 2005 (by default) will use the .NET v2.0 compilers.

Cheers
Ken