[thelist] SQL Sever 2005 on a laptop

James Conley Conleyj at kubota-kma.com
Wed Mar 22 08:55:51 CST 2006

Based on my own highly subjective experience:

When you say "serving pages to itself" - I assume you mean running IIS
on the machine as well?
When you say "development environment" - I assume you are running some
sort of development software - VS.Net perhaps?

IIRC recommended configuration for a full load of SQL Server Developer
2005 including Reporting services is around 1 gig of memory.
Add to that a couple hundred meg for IIS
Add to that a couple hundred meg for VS.Net if that is what you are
running for development.
Add an extra 512Meg for SQL Server 2000 if you plan on running that as
well.

Again - That's what I would do. I'm sure that you can physicall run them
all with as little as 512Meg on the machine with no problem except for
slowness when trying to switch apps, compile, etc.

James c.