[thelist] problem handling the menu + select box bug in IE

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at lycos.com
Fri Mar 24 05:37:50 CST 2006

> From: "Matt Warden" <mwarden at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:17:56 -0500
>
> There is a "bug" in IE that is messing with a menu on my client's
> site. It is a tab menu, where a hover over a tab expands a ul
> underneath it. Some list items in this ul have a submenu. THe bug
> causes select boxes underneath where the ul expands to peek through,
> as if its z-index were higher.

Everything is explained beautifully here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177378

And it's fixed in IE7:

If you're using javascript to achieve the dynamic menu, I reckon the window.createPopup(x,y,w,h,elem) technique is easier to implement than the IFRAME hack.  But that's easy to say without appreciating the overall behaviour of your website.

- LK