[thelist] Basic sendmail question

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Fri Mar 24 18:15:21 CST 2006

Hope this isn't too far off topic... anyway, I run a web server from
home, using my DSL account to connect to the Internet.

Recently I had to build a new server after my old (ancient) one finally
packed it in. I have everything working fine, except for one small
detail: my CGI scripts that rely on sendmail have stopped sending mail.
Or more to the point, my ISP has stopped accepting the mail. When I
check /var/log/maillog after running one of these scripts, I see:

[snip] relay=to1.bellnexxia.net [snip] DSN: Service unavailable

... where 'to1.bellnexxia.net' is my ISP's SMTP server. (In other words,
I need to use my ISP's SMTP server to relay the mail sent by the
scripts.) If my hazy memory serves me, the 'Service unavailable' message
means my ISP is refusing the mail.

I recall having to jump through some hoops to get sendmail working when
I first set this stuff up years ago, but I forget the details. I have
changed the SMART_HOST setting in my sendmail config to my ISP's SMTP
server, and sendmail is successfully connecting. But I can't remember
what else I have to configure to convince the server to accept the mail.

For reference, my ISP is sympatico.ca, and my Linux distro is Fedora
Core 4. My web server connects to my ISP through a router. Any and all
help much appreciated.

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario