[thelist] Arabic language website and streaming fonts

kasimir-k evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Thu Mar 30 08:25:55 CST 2006

Birdie scribeva in 30/03/2006 8:29:
> Someone told me that I need to add the Arabic fonts to the server the
> website is hosted on and also add components to stream the fonts to peoples
> browsers. Is this correct ?

No it isn't.

Actually this is the first time I hear about "streaming fonts". Maybe
this someone ment sIFR[0] or something along those lines?

> I was under the impression that you just needed
> to have the font installed on your machine to be able to view the text. Is
> this assumption wrong ?

No, your assumption is correct. Or allmost correct :-) If your site has
text in Arabic, then the visitor will need *any* font that has the
necessary Arabic characters - and most Arabic speakers will have this
already.

.k

[0]http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/