[thelist] client to post video

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Mon Apr 3 10:45:23 CDT 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 15:50, Christy Collins wrote:
> Is an mpeg file viewable in any stand alone player?  Mac or PC?

Not sure about 'any', but i have always been able to play them without
problems, which I cannot say for .mov, .avi, .wmv, .swf and others.

The main difference is that mpeg videos are downloaded, and then played (this
sometimes happens in the browser if you have a plugin installed) while other
formats will stream (they start playing when part of the file has been
buffered), but are not so portable, across platforms or browsers.

http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_videoformats.asp

If you can, I would use whatever format you prefer, and then offer mpeg as an
additional option for users to download if your solution doesn't work for
them.

Cheers,

Richard.