[thelist] AJAX Tip

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 06:47:47 CDT 2006

> > FYI no AJAX in there. Solely DOM.
>
>  > Steady on! Lightbox is a very cool script, no doubt, but it has
>  > nothing to do with AJAX, let's not confuse matters.
>
> Well now how do you like that? The author posted a note to another list
> I am on announcing this tool and clearly indicated it is somehow
> considered AJAX. I myself didn't look under the hood to see how it works.

Then tell him it is not true, especially not AJAX as there is no X
(which does stand for XML) involved at all. I am not demeaning the
script - it is a very good script- but it is just not AJAX, and for a
good reason as you'd need to have a server and some server side code
to use it were it to be AJAX. My image preview script uses an optional
server side component to resize images on the fly, but it is not AJAX
either:
http://icant.co.uk/articles/imagepreview/

> > And yes, lightbox is not Web2.0 either :-)
>
> What precisely does this mean?

Just preventing another hyped term to be applied to it :-)

Defining Web2.0 is tough, but if somebody were to claim something like
lightbox is web2.0 you can ask where the community part of it is :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web2.0
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html

--
Chris Heilmann