[thelist] Corrupt File Downloads

Chris Marsh thelist at cjmarsh.com
Sun Apr 9 14:26:50 CDT 2006

All

I have a PC running Windows 2000. I have run Windows update to ensure that
the hotfixes are up to date. I can surf the web with no problems through a
browser. However, when I attempt to download any files that are not rendered
in the browser, I am prevented from doing so. The download appears to have
executed correctly (albeit far too swiftly), but the file is a fraction of
the correct size. I am getting no errors being reported, only the usual
"Download Complete" messages. I have tried clearing the cache, manually
clearing the temporary internet files directory, searching the HDD for any
files of the same name (in case a cache that I'm unaware of is in operation
- no files were found), and virus scanning the machine. The files that I
have tried to download are from many different organisations and locations,
and all have downloaded fine onto a different machine on the same network.
This problem occurs with Internet Explorer 6, and Mozilla 1.4 - there are no
other browsers installed. No proxy server is being used.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm having a bit of a problem even coming up
with effective search terms for Google, and have hit a bit of a brick wall.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris Marsh