[thelist] Site check please....

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Mon Apr 10 19:44:21 CDT 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 22:21, Mattias Thorslund wrote:
> Jay Blanchard wrote:
> > We are rapidly approaching launch and I am awaiting content, but I do
> > have some things working (not all links work up in the header). Also, I
> > know that the site fails for character set...we will be adding this to
> > the Apache configs. You'll need a username and password to see it (not
> > ready for public consumption) so use pockettest/pockettest
> >
> > http://www.pocket.com/foo/index20060328.php
> >
> > TIA!
Hi,
Testing on Firefox, Mandriva Linux.
Basically it looks very nice.
Some possible improvements:
The 'sonar' animated gif is slightly cut-off at the right, which makes me want
to move it a little :o)
The constant animating becomes a bit distracting after a while, maybe let it
repeat 3 times and then stop?
why is the home-page empty? That looks really strange.
The search-box doesn't work.
The 'Enlarge' image loader seems a bit erratic - some phones took 10 seconds
to load the image, which isn't *that* big.
I would definitely lose the Google map things at some point. They look a bit
cheap, are generally overused, and don't work well.
For the store-locator you're missing a  good opportunity of show-casing the
stores, so you could offer them some added-value for stocking your products.
I'd show a store-front foto, and links to their website for instance. The
current map just shows a bunch of pins on top of each other so you can't see
the map, and when you click on one you can't see exactly which dot the popup
is for, and the pop-up's contents bleeds out of the popup...
The coverage map is extremely slow. I get a pop-up "A script on this page may
be busy, or it may have stopped responding.etc"
Sometimes i see the darker coverage area, sometimes only the outline.
A few static maps on a page, with some accompanying explanation would seem to
be a better user-experience.

Cheers,
Richard