[thelist] TIP: Email signature markers need a space in Thunderbird

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 15:03:12 CDT 2006

Hi all,

Something I only became aware of relatively recently, but really
appreciate now I know about it, is the signature cut line - "-- "

Thought I'd post a tip on this since I think it's kind of cool.

<tip type="Email signature cut lines" author="Ian Anderson">
When adding a signature to posts, it's good practice to mark the start
of the signature formally with a signature cut line: e.g. "-- " [1]

The signature cut line indicates the division between your words and
your signature, the purpose being to allow recipients to decide for
themselves how the sig will be treated. In Thunderbird, for instance,
the text in the sig appears greyed out by default when the message is
viewed by others, indicating its inferior status and helping the real
content to stand out in a posting.

Formally, the signature cut line should be two hyphens followed by a
space. Without the space, Thunderbird doesn't realise that the sig is
such, and shows the text in the foreground colour. It's a little thing,
but it makes a huge difference to the readability of posts.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block

</tip>

Cheers

Ian

--
zStudio - Web development and accessibility
- http://zStudio.co.uk