[thelist] What would you like to see in a resource site?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Apr 19 10:10:21 CDT 2006

Hi Faye;

[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org]
>On Behalf Of Faye Tarzwell
>Sent: 19 April 2006 15:50
>To: thelist at lists.evolt.org; thelist at lists.evolt.org
>Subject: Re: [thelist] What would you like to see in a resource site?
>
>I don't know my target audience because I haven't been allowed to ask for
their
>information on what languages they use or what they would like to see
listed.
>This would be a compilation of resources so they didn't need to go looking
for sites...it
>would be a "quick link" sort of area for them.
>It is an intranet as I said and for programmers in the banking industry (I
am assuming
>they use C++ and Java because that's what I have seen around)...
>I didn't ask for the resources per se but your opinion on what you would
like to have
>listed in a resource site...

The more I hear of this, the more it sounds like an impossible task. You've
been told:

Build a resource site for programmers, without knowing what resources they
need or languages they program in.

... to which, really, the only possible answer is google.

Giving even a rough shape to this without knowing what language or what kind
of programming is nearly impossible - by their very natures, a resource site
will be different if the language are object-oriented or not, open-source or
not, and if the programmers are writing standalone application or programes
for web access.

I think you need to go back to your manager, point out that this is a lot
more difficult than it needs to be, and ask for some direction - any
direction.

Drew.