[thelist] emailing reports of 404 errors to myself

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Thu Apr 20 10:45:25 CDT 2006

I'm running a site in ColdFusion that contains a lot of documents (doc,
pdf, xls, ppt, etc). I'd like to set up a 404 notifier, so that every
time a ColdFusion page or other file that doesn't exist is requested, I
receive an email with the details. The closest I've been able to come to
this is setting up a custom 404 in ColdFusion, and using it to email me
the referrer, so that at least I know where the broken link is. Is
there a better/easier way to do this, something that doesn't require
looking through log files to find 404 errors?

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer