[thelist] emailing reports of 404 errors to myself

Dennis Lapcewich dlapcewich at fs.fed.us
Thu Apr 20 12:09:47 CDT 2006

There are various CGI scripts out there that will do exactly what you ask.
You could probably use then intact, or convert them to work within
ColdFusion.  I got quite a few relevant hits by running the following in
Google -->  "404 error reporting script email"

Dennis

             Sarah Adams
             <mrsanders at design
             shift.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  thelist <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
             thelist-bounces at l                                          cc
             ists.evolt.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [thelist] emailing reports of 404
             04/20/2006 08:45          errors to myself
             AM

             Please respond to
             "thelist at lists.ev
                 olt.org"
             <thelist at lists.ev
                 olt.org>

I'm running a site in ColdFusion that contains a lot of documents (doc,
pdf, xls, ppt, etc). I'd like to set up a 404 notifier, so that every
time a ColdFusion page or other file that doesn't exist is requested, I
receive an email with the details. The closest I've been able to come to
this is setting up a custom 404 in ColdFusion, and using it to email me
the referrer, so that at least I know where the broken link is. Is
there a better/easier way to do this, something that doesn't require
looking through log files to find 404 errors?

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer