[thelist] Server2Server Communication

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Apr 21 08:41:11 CDT 2006

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: Sent: Friday, 21 April 2006 11:15 PM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] Server2Server Communication
:
: Hi Hassan,
:
: Thanks for the immediate comment.
:
: I've done all of these things correctly
:
: > 1) parse the form data,
: > 2) format it into the query the payment gateway expects,
: > 3) open a connection to that gateway
: > 4) send the query
:
: and in fact already received a response from the payment gateway that
: I've submitted all the right parameters it was expecting, and so has
: returned an errorcode of "0", i.e. no error.
:
: I also have the code ready and waiting to perform the parsing of the
: reply and redirecting the client browser to the payment gateway or
: the "so sorry" page as you put it.
:
: > 5) parse the response
: > 6) return a "so sorry" page of your own or a redirect to the CC form
: >    depending on the response.
:
: My problem is this:
:
: The payment gateway sent the response to the client browser, not to my
: site so that it can appropriately redirect the client browser to the
: right page depending on the result of the response of the browser.
:
: I know this to be the case because when I tried to place a test order
: on the order form, I got the reply intended for my site in my browser,
: and when I check my site, it did not receive any reply (Before sending
: the initialistion request to the payment gateway, I create an entry for
: the order in the database. Upon receipt of the response for the
: initialisation, I have codes that will update the status of the order.
: In this case, the record was created but not updated by the code that
: will be triggered by the response from the payment gateway. Meanwhile,
: on my client browser, I as a test user did in fact see the response
: from the payment gateway although it was of no use to me except to
: confirm that the payment gateway had indeed replied positively to the
: initialisation request.
:
: When I asked the payment gateway vendor (I asked this question 7
: differnt times) the reply was "this is a server2server transaction."
:
: Does this mysteriously worded phrase in English has a special meaning
: to veteran ASP programmers? Sounds to me like there is some server
: variables or something similar that I had to check or set?
:
: I'd have thought that the simpler solution is for me to pass to the
: payment gateway a return interface to my site which the payment gateway
: can invoke to return the response, such as
:
: https://mysite/ResponsetoInitRequest.asp?errorcode=...
:
: and inside this asp file, I can redirect the client browser tot he
: appropriate payment link or produce the "so sorry" page.
:
: in fact, I did ask this question to the vendor but the reply I got was
: again the mysterious "this is a server2server transaction"
:
: Any thoughts?
:
: Thanks and regards,
:
: Johnson
:
: > Johnson Borja See wrote:
: >
: > > 1. When the user press the submit button on the order form from the
: > > ecommerce website (which in this context is also the requesting
: server,
: > > or merchant server), the merchant server sends a initialisation
: request
: > > to the recipient server (a payment gateway) using the format
: specified
: > > by the gateway.
: >
: > > 4. I've done step 1, send initialisation request to the payment
: gateway
: > > using a redirect command
: >
: > As you've discovered, that's *not* what step 1 means. You need to
: >
: > 1) parse the form data,
: > 2) format it into the query the payment gateway expects,
: > 3) open a connection to that gateway
: > 4) send the query
: > 5) parse the response
: > 6) return a "so sorry" page of your own or a redirect to the CC form
: >    depending on the response.
: >
: > HTH!
: > --
: > Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
: > Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-938-0567   === http://webtuitive.com
: >                 opinion: webtuitive.blogspot.com
: >
: >                           dream.  code.
: >
: >
: > --
: >
: > * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
: > http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
: >
: > For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
: > and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
: > Workers of the Web, evolt !
: >
: >