[thelist] asp LOGIC QUESTION

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 14:19:37 CDT 2006

Matt Warden wrote:

> select *
> from CATEGORY c
> inner join THING t on t.catid = c.catid
> order by c.catname, t.thingname

Perhaps I am missing something, and I suspect I may have misunderstood
the OP's intention, but anyway. How will this give me grouped results like:

Category 1
- foo
- woo
- boo

Category 2
- fee
- snee
- pee
etc?

By joining tables like you suggest I can easily produce

Category 1 foo
Category 1 woo
Category 1 boo
Category 2 fee
Category 2 snee
Category 2 pee

but this isn't the desired output

> var currentcat = ''
> loop until end of recordset
>     if currentcat != recordset.catname then
>         do whatever you need to do for each category
>     end if
>     do whatever you need to do for each thing
> end loop

I take it this pseudocode is for the middleware, rather than SQL?

This isn't going to give the results above unless you put it in another
loop - which is basically what I had shown. What's the difference then
between this and what I am presently using in these situations?

What am I missing here?

--
zStudio - Web development and accessibility
- http://zStudio.co.uk