[thelist] MSSQL backups not being deleted by scheduled job

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Fri Apr 28 14:14:44 CDT 2006

I have two databases where the scheduled job isn't deleting old backups
even though I've checked the happy little box.

Am I safe to manually delete backups other than the current one? I
realize we need to keep enough backups/transaction logs to  rebuild if
necessary, but we've got four months of data taking up 100GB of space.

I've tried googling and reading the SQL BOL and just can't nail down
this specific (if it's there, please feel free to point me to it so I'll
know better how to frame a query next time.)

thanks

spinhead