[thelist] Browser support, drawing a pragmatic line in the sand.

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Mon May 1 12:07:37 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 16:29 +0100, Tony Crockford wrote:

> I understand your point perfectly, and fully support it, what I want
> to be able to do is say:
>
> * for price 'x' I will do the necessary work and testing and guarantee
>   (almost) identical rendering in all the Green Browsers.
> * support for Amber browsers is not guaranteed, but they "should" work.
> * support for Red browsers is not included in price 'x'
> * promotion of a browser from amber to green will cost 'y'
> * promotion of a browser from red to green will cost 'z'

> my objective is to overcome the problems with a fixed price project
> where the client reveals that some VIP uses IE5 on Mac, but originally
> said it didn't matter.
>
> It's trying to define the point of diminishing returns for the client.

I agree that Yahoo is a bit too much for most clients unless you want to
get the lawyers involved. You almost have it above, a clause in your
contract that says something like:

"There are many types of computers and ways to browse the internet and
we will endeavour to produce your web site to the best of our abilities
and in accordance with the W3C recommended specifications as noted.

The most common computer operating systems and browsers used to access
the internet are listed below. By adhering to strict W3C standards to
render an internet web page, we believe the majority of your web site
visitors using relatively modern computer hardware and software, will
have the rendering be similar and be able to interact with your web site
in a common fashion. We take great care to produce a web site that works
and looks the same everywhere for everyone,  and work hard to minimize
the variances in browser manufacturer's own adherence to standards. For
some companies, support for less common ways to access their web site is
required and the cost comparison is listed below for your convenience:

then your list of browser/prices......."

something like that? I know there are some writer-ly types on the list
that may be able to clean that up a bit, maybe this thread could turn
into something generic everyone could use, (if a link to something
existing isn't out there already)?
--
cheers,

        Mark