[thelist] SQL question

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon May 1 19:25:05 CDT 2006

:  From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
:  bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Sedgley
:  Sent: Tuesday, 2 May 2006 1:20 AM
:  To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
:  Subject: [thelist] SQL question
:
:  Hello list,
:
:  This is probably blindingly simple but my brain isn't working on this
:  lovely
:  sunny bank holiday.
:
:  I have a table with the following data:
:
:  -----------------------
:  | category | path     |
:  -----------------------
:  | cheese   | /cheese  |
:  | cheddar  | /cheddar |
:  | stilton  | /stilton |
:  | cheese   | /cheddar |
:  | cheese   | /stilton |
:  -----------------------
:
:  (both category and path are primary keys)
:
:  If I wanted to search for a path where category is "stilton" and for
:  the
:  same path the category "cheese" (so the result would be /stilton) is
:  this
:  possible just using SQL? I'm using MySQL so I can use proprietary
:  commands
:  if need be.
:
:  I was thinking something like SELECT * FROM categories, categories
:  WHERE
:  category = "cheese" AND category = "stilton" (so combining the same
:  table
:  twice) but this isn't allowed.
:
:  Thanks for your time,