[thelist] Networks, webservers, file servers, etc.

Richard Brown rich at cregy.co.uk
Tue May 2 10:26:55 CDT 2006

Hi Chris and everyone

On 2 May 2006, at 14:34, Chris Johnston wrote:

> Is this for a business or for something that you are running out of
> your
> home?
Thanks for the replies. It is for business. I was thinking of buying
one of these new boxes that contain simply a hard drive to act as a
file server and then attach a further drive to that for backup
purposes. I think Western Digital sell the sort of things I mean. It
attaches to your router and is ready by Mac, Linux and Windows.

I had forgotten about the dmz - an important point. So I run a computer
as web server from that and then have a separate box acting as a
Firewall and then routing to the network. That means another two
computers! As I run a small web business is it worth doing all that
please?

I understand what folks say about keeping everything separate and maybe
I need to look into it further.

Thanks for the help.
--
Rich