[thelist] Dreamweaver MX 2004 - finding checked out files, sorting file view

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue May 2 19:04:37 CDT 2006

Canfield, Joel wrote:

> How can I locate all checked out files? The laptop I inherited seems to
> have boatloads of files checked out; marketing folks keep leaving me
> late-night voicemails about unlocking their files so they can do their
> emergency updates.

Dreamweaver creates *.lck files named for the file being locked. You
might find that searching for these files helps to identify them if the
site view isn't clear enough.

Ctrl+click a folder in the site window to expand or collapse all
subfolders in one move - maybe this will help in browsing the list for
locked or checked out files?

You may be able to clear all the locks by deleting all the .lck files.
Or perhaps not. I'd play with a copy of the site folder just in case.

> Also, the file view seems to be in some random order I can't suss. Is
> there a way to determine how they're being sorted? Is there a way to
> change it?

Put the site window into its fullscreen mode with the expand/collapse
button (the last button on the site panel in normal use) and then click
a column heading to sort by that column

> And if you can give me pointers on where to find this in the DW help,
> maybe I'll figure that out for next time.

Macromedia documentation has always been terse.

How about Working with Dreamweaver sites > Managing your files > About
site management > About the check In/Check Out system?

There's a technote referenced there:
www.macromedia.com/go/15447

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

--
zStudio - Web development and accessibility
- http://zStudio.co.uk