[thelist] mysqldump syntax error?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed May 3 15:07:02 CDT 2006

Hi Joel,

Canfield, Joel <JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org> wrote:
> copied directly from the help files:
>
>    mysqldump --opt db_name > backup-file.sql
>
> which I modified to
>
>    mysqldump --opt cdrdb > cdr200605.sql
>
> and I get error 1064 'your syntax sucks'

Really.  I've never noticed mysqldump (nor any of the other mysql utilities) to say anything less politically polite than suggesting I may be a dummy (http://www.google.com/search?q=mysql+I-am-a-dummy).

mysqldump's Error #1064 is supposed to say something like: "You have an error in your SQL syntax near..." and then quote the part of the SQL command that it didn't understand.  (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mysqldump+1064)

Are you sure you're running the correct "mysqldump" binary?  Check your path:

  which mysqldump

mine says:

  /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump

which is in fact where the mysql client binaries are supposed to be installed.  Maybe someone installed a shell or perl script in your path by the same name, effectively "hiding" the reeal mysqldump

...or (worse) your system may have been compromised by a hacker with a sense of humor ...in which case: http://google.com/search?q=chkrootkit

> tried various other output file names and paths with no joy
>
> is this a permissions error in disguise?

No.  permissions errors don't normally disguise themselves...

> I don't have admin access to the box in question, and probably
> can't get it (it's our phone system)

Oh.  Call that phone company, then!

-dave