[thelist] how to refer to an event that occurs on the 2nd Tue of the month (for example)

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Thu May 4 08:59:30 CDT 2006

Byron Alley wrote:
> Sometimes there isn't an elegant word to describe the case, and even
> sometimes when there is, it isn't a word that most users will understand
> right away (eg. "contiguous").
>
> You might be better off using plain language and an example.  I'm a big fan
> of examples in lieu of explanations.  So my solution:
>
> * Daily
> * Weekly, e.g. every Tuesday
> * Monthly (by day of month), e.g. the 15th of every month* Other regular
> events (first tuesday of every month, every six weeks, every ten days, etc.)
>
> - Byron

Just a quick reality check here.

Sherri Fleming and I seem to be the only ones who think that an event
that occurs on the first Monday of every month should be called a
monthly meeting.

Now think for a minute:

How many monthly events are there in your life?

When do they occur?

If the events are meetings, I daresay they occur on a certain day of the
month.

Indeed, the only monthly events that occur by day of the month that I
can think of are certain paydays and certain tax payments.

So to call the latter "monthly" and the former something other than
monthly would be less than intuitive IMOSOHO.

And intuitive is a good thing when it comes to designing a user interface.

-J