[thelist] DB Schema Design

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Sun May 7 10:53:02 CDT 2006

> Eeyuch... I'm afraid I think the single statuses table is misguided. I
> think you can have a common status table where you have a consistent set
> of values for each class of entity to which it relates, but you don't.
>
> Because you're acknowledging that - for instance - customers can't be
> shipped, I think you've basically answered your own question. You need
> different status tables for each class of entity.

But why, from a database or informational point of view, does this
answer the question? It may be the I agree with you (or that I don't)
but I am looking for a compelling reason to suggest one approach versus
the other. There should never be a mistake of thinking a customer could
be shipped because the 'shipped' status has a class of 'orders' so that
system would never apply that status to a customer.

> Also, I think you have to ask: if you have separate tables with entities
> so similar that they share a single set of statuses, why are they in
> separate tables?

We don't. Each status has one and one 'class' only. Entities do not
share statuses.

Hershel

--
Gallery Robinson Web Services