[thelist] DB Schema Design

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Mon May 8 11:16:18 CDT 2006

Matt Warden wrote:

>> This table is not normalised: the values for class should be moved out
>> into some other table and related with a foreign key.
>
> You can do this, but it is not necessary.

Mmmm. No, not necessary, but good practice I'd say.

Consider any other single column with a relatively fixed set of values.
You could argue the same, mais non?

>> And the values in this table would then need to define which table in
>> the database the associated statuses belong to:
>
> Why? As far as I can tell, there's no reason to do this.

It's called "Being hit by a bus".

If the developer ain't around no more for any reason, I'd like there to
be an explicit notation of which table these puppies belong to, and not
just in a ring binder on some shelf with three thousand other pieces of
paper, neither.

--
zStudio - Web development and accessibility
- http://zStudio.co.uk