[thelist] Weird Visual Studio Project Problem

Casey Crookston caseyc at netgainhosting.com
Tue May 9 14:53:27 CDT 2006

I have recently taken over a site from which the original developer
walked away, and in the process of migrating it to my dev server I am
running into some funny Visual Studio issues.  It's written in vb.net
and I'm using Visual Studio 2003 v7.1

The site is simple enough.  It's all in a project called 'JWFord' and
under it is one root directory with public facing pages. There is also a
maintenance directory which contains back-end site management pages.  I
can edit, compile, and execute all of the .aspx and .aspx.vb with no
problem.

The files in the maintenance directory, however, are giving me grief.
First of all, none of the files in that directory will debug.  When I
create break points, the pages execute without ever stopping on them.
That's a minor problem.  The real problem has to do with the classes.

For example, there was an existing page called editemp.aspx with the
code behind of editemp.aspx.vb.  In the .aspx file we've got:

Codebehind="editemp.aspx.vb" Inherits="maintenance.editemp" %>

And in the editemp.aspx.vb we've got: Public Class editemp

When ever I compile, VS keeps changing the Inherits in the .aspx file to
"JWFord.editemp" and then when I execute the page I get: Could not load
type JWFord.editemp.  I can change it back to maintenance.editemp.asp,
in which case the page loads normally.

But the thing that is really slowing me down and making me upset is that
when I create a new web form, or .aspx page, it defaults to
Inherits="JWFord.newfile".  Any new pages refuse to execute, even if I
change it to "maintenance.newfile"

In short, I can't add new pages to the maintenance directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!