[thelist] redesigning a huge database

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:29:52 CDT 2006

On 5/10/06, John Hicks <johnlist at gulfbridge.net> wrote:

> It looks like your requirements are:
> --to add internationalization
> --to optimize or tune the database and its queries
> --to establish a system for rotating out old data
>
> .....check out 'analyze table'. This is a task that can
> be delegated since it requires only DB expertise. (In many environments
> a table of 700,000 rows would not be considered large!)
>
> One thing that you didn't make clear was whether a decision has already
> been made on the scope of the project (redesigning and replacing v.
> tweaking, revamping, optimizing etc.).

John,

Spot on on the requirements.

I know that 700,000 rows can be considered moderate in some environments,
but we don't usually build applications that required such large databases.
So for us, this is huge.

The decision has already been made that the app will be completely rebuilt
from scratch. There's bound to be some things in the old app we can re-use,
but we're not counting too heavily on it.

Rick.