[thelist] asp.net: Reresh a page and keep viewstate

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue May 16 17:04:56 CDT 2006

Casey Crookston wrote:

> > It's not possible to push data to the user.  So, how would you cause the
> > page to re-fresh while not loosing data in viewstate?
>
> AJAX :)

+1.

Just use an XMLHttpRequest to regularly ping server, say every 30 seconds.

There are other related techniques: You may use an IFRAME and autorefresh
it, instead of refreshing the entire page and hence losing the viewstate.

On the java side, once upon a time there was something called pushlets.
Namely a servlet which does not close the stream and continously push some
data to client. I don't think there is something similar on the dot net
world. Besides the java pushlets had problems of their own.

HTH,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/