[thelist] HTTPS upload traffic

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Wed May 24 11:12:19 CDT 2006

Hi, all,

   In the thick of troubleshooting some performance problems with a site
here (not my code - don't get me started!), we've noticed through an
upload/download monitor that it looks like it is uploading about as many
bytes as it is downloading! Seems crazy to me, but that's what the
monitor says. I've always thought of web pages as a collection of
requests, each of which is pretty small, with relatively lots more
content coming down in response. With more experimentation, it seems
that having more uploaded bytes might be a common feature to HTTPS
sites, which ours is, but generally not to the degree that ours is
showing.

   I'm not a security expert by any means, and have only foggy notions
of how HTTPS works (encryption, certificates, etc.), but is it a common
feature of the HTTPS protocol to produce a lot of upload traffic? If so,
why? If not, what could be going on here? Thanks for any insight.

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.