[thelist] This is cool eye candy

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Wed May 24 18:10:12 CDT 2006

Canfield, Joel wrote:
> good question. if it needed a plugin my browser already had, how would,
> say, Flash, look any different from javascript?

Depends on the creator, I guess. Those sprite-style animations would
play a little more smoothly in Flash Player, but it's such a simple task
that I'm not sure how much difference you'd see. Doing a realtime blur
is one of the best tricks for making pixel-based movement appear
smoother, faster, for instance. I'd guess many Flash developers would
look at changing the shape as well as the position, maybe with a
rotation or flip to turn one into the other. Aesthetics is a hard call
for me to make.

For the work itself, Dreamweaver 1.0 had such animated-path timelines
for DIVs. Maybe we'll see a resurgence in such JavaScript now...?

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd