[thelist] advisability of links to the current page (WAS: <h1> + images + search engines penalties)

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 07:44:34 CDT 2006

> I've heard this assertion several times here on thelist and I'm not
> convinced - why shouldn't there be a link to the current page, as long
> as it is styled to make it absolutely clear that it is the page the user
> is currently viewing? Personally, I make use of such links quite often.

a) Users without stylesheets
b) Users with assistive technology who either cannot see your links or
navigate the page via a list of all links instead of following the
content word by word

Use Lynx to see for yourself.

Or the other way around:

What is the use of a link that points to the current page on the
current page, unless you display dynamic data that changes over time
("reload this" link)?

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com