[thelist] Query Question: Order By, Group By, or Sub Query?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed May 31 13:01:37 CDT 2006

Casey Crookston asked a sort question:

>>We want the results to look like this:
>>

>>ID         Parent ID           Title
>>
>>----------------------------------------------
>>
>>1                                  Title1
>>
>>2          1                      Title1a
>>
>>4          1                      Title1b
>>
>>3                                  Title2

Hi Casey,

In Oracle I think the following would put the data in the right order:

Select ID, Parent_ID, NVL(Parent_ID, ID) as BigSort, Title from CC_Table
Sort by BigSort, ID

Then you would suppress 'BigSort' from your display.  (Can't remember
off
the top if you can sort by a computed field that isn't part of the
select
or not. <shrug />)

Not sure how that translates for other db's.

HTH,

RonL.