[thelist] Script to expand acronyms

Francois Jordaan Francois.Jordaan at wheel.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 09:31:25 CDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm sure I've seen somewhere on the web someone demonstrating a script
that automatically expands the acronyms on a page.

What it should do is to look at the text content on every web page,
evaluate it against a given dictionary of acronyms and their meanings,
and wrap all acronyms in the correct HTML tags and title attribute.

I had in mind a client-side script, but I realise it may be slow and
would reduce accessibility benefits. So a server-side script may be
better.

Any ideas? Accessify.com has a related script -- PHP-based it seems --
http://www.accessify.com/tools-and-wizards/developer-tools/acrobot/
...although it works on-demand, rather than by parsing a page.

Thanks for any help,

francois