[thelist] What's a good newbie CSS List?

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Wed Jun 7 10:21:51 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 10:13 -0400, Debbie Pomerance wrote:

> doing doesn't work - or is this the parent element or that - or does a
> .center
> work this way or that way - or why when I put a:link into a #footer id it
> doesn't work
> like I thought it would.

Got a way to fix that for you, using Firefox and the Web Developer
extension courtesy of Chris Pederick:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/60/

Under the "Outline" tab, tick the "Outline Current Element" option. When
you mouse over an element on the page the status bar at the bottom of
the browser window shows the Firefox interpretation of the CSS cascade
for you.

> Some of my questions are very basic.  I have books
> on CSS and I am furiously looking stuff up - but sometimes you just need to
> ask someone because one is missing a basic point - a 'duih' moment!  Also
> when one first starts it's hard to keep all the balls not in the air, but
> keep all the rules in your head at the same time.

It's like being in html school all over again, but worth the effort
because developers that still need to use tables for presentation layout
will be out of work in that dept. soon, it's been five years since CSS1
was finalized and the tide is turning, IMHO.

> I just subscribed to css-discuss and I must admit it is a bit intimidating.
> After reading their posting policy I immediately went to the archives to do
> some searches and I cannot find a way to search across months.  Doesn't seem
> to be a way;

Use Google on the Wiki, instead of their mail list search facility may
help, sample query:

float site:css-discuss.incutio.com

and if you go through the front page http://css-discuss.incutio.com/
like it was a few months at school, you'll be a star soon enough. My 2
cents and what works for me: start with the universal selector zero-ing
all margins and padding, use ems or percent for everything, pay
attention to line-heights if pixel perfect precision is required. The
hardest part personally was to learn to make everything work using
floats in various browsers, but once past that curve it was easy enough
to avoid absolute positioning, (just always seems to turn into trouble
for me eventually, ymmv), or hacks.

* { margin:0; padding:0; }

--
cheers,