[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Jun 9 09:24:24 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:08:16AM -0400, Ben Glassman wrote:
> I am very curious to hear your take on what the best order for content
> is from an accessibility standpoint. Currently, I believe I try to use
> the following order in my CSS based layouts.
>
> Home link
> Skip navigation link
> Navigation
> Content
> Footer/Redundant Top Level Navigation

That's a nice idea to have the skip nav link.  If "nav" means the menu
system, which are often popup menus in my case, I tend to place those
below the content.  I have other nav elements (single links) that are
often in the banner.

> > There are many other problems found in CSS layout pages, like excessive
> > numbers of links on a page, which are a much greater problem than
> > content order anyway.
>
> When you say "links" are you referring to externally linked files?

Ya, why would a css layout page have more links?

There's also the point of page size:

I just took a designer's layout of a page that was table based and
changed to css layout.  The designer's page has a content-length of
21777, my table-less design has a content-length of 8021.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org