[thelist] Default Doc type

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 12:22:49 CDT 2006

Until all traces of IE6 are
> removed from the planet, the only advantage of XHTML is support for the
> very distant future.

Well not from the planet but they are being removed from my web stats.
I have 40% of my web traffic coming from firefox users. imho, this is not a
number that can be underestimated.

imho, Internet Explorer is  Microsoft's  biggest burden on the company's
shoulders.
Such a burden that if M$ stops all support for IE and focuses on other
assets (such as Windows Vista) it's brand value will increase dramatically.

For IE to properly handle it, XHTML must be served

Who can guarantee IE7.3.2.1alpha will not support content type Text/XML ?

as HTML. Browser support for HTML 4 will probably be with us for decades
> if not centuries.

Yes, and no one will be using them at all (except for some of the laggard
dinasours which keep insisting on following technology from 5 years behind,
and some of the cross-browser techy geek who earn a living out of giving
tech support to those dinasours).

Use XHTML Strict whenever possible, should you want to be
forward-compatible.

HTH,
--
Volkan Ozcelik