[thelist] IE5.5 css transparency

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Sun Jun 11 15:26:45 CDT 2006

joe wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that IE5.5+ supports the following css extension?
>
> filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opacity='50')
>
> After googling I've been able to confirm that it supports
> AlphaImageLoader, but I can't find anything confirming Alpha.
>
> The easy way for me to check this would be to use my standalone install,
> but I can't get my version of IE5.5 to display transparency, even though
> I suspect it should. Anyone had any joy with this?

Yes and no. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/alpha.asp

This page asserts that a declaration in this general form:

    .aClass{filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opacity=50);}

... will work in MSIE 5.5 when applied to numerous HTML tags. In my
tinkering with this some years ago, however, I found that it worked
erratically at best. It would work for one class but not another, and
one tag but not another. For instance, this was OK:

     body {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opacity=50);}

... but not this:

    h2 {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opacity=50);}

And so on.

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario