[thelist] Mirror - cron job

Dan CRACIUN dcsquare at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 12 03:03:41 CDT 2006

Hi all,

One of the non-profits sites I did (http://www.cruce.ro/) managed to get
a free mirror site. I allready transfered the site but now I have the
problem of syncronizing the two.
The site is basically a news site, with 5-15 articles written weekly.
The only file that gets modified is a .txt file, under 1MB.
What are the "best practices" for this? The choices I found:
1. Make a backup php script on the main server and run it as a nightly
cron job (connect, put file, disconnect, send confirmation of succes or
failure to email)
2. Make a backup php script on my personal test server and run it as a
cron job (connect to main site, get file, disconect, connect to mirror
site, put file, disconect, write succes or failure in log file)
3. Use a 3-rd party sync utility (side note: haven't found any for
multiple remote hosts; my google skills must be degrading)
4. Use filezilla and an automate script to get he file from main server
and put it on the mirror (basically option #2 but under windows, with
task scheduler and no php).

Pro/cons? Other options?

TIA,
Dan